This section of our website provides resources to our health partners in the medical profession to help improve the lives of women and children. Here you’ll find information on classes, breastfeeding services, nutrition and referrals.
WIC’s health and nutrition program has a long-standing record of improving health outcomes of women, infants and children who are at risk for nutrition-related illness.
Studies show pregnant women who participate in WIC have fewer premature births, fewer low birth weight babies, experience fewer fetal and infant deaths, seek prenatal care earlier in pregnancy, and consume more key nutrients like iron, protein, calcium, and Vitamins A and C. It has been estimated that for each dollar spent on WIC for prenatal education, $3.50 is saved in Medicaid and disability payments and in medical-care costs paid by private health-care providers.
Check out our section on Partner Resources for more information on how to access these and other benefits available to you through Texas WIC.
WIC Provides Your Patients:
WIC Offers Partners:
Formula Changes are Coming to Texas WIC (Updated 3/20/2023)
WIC programs must have contracts for milk-based and soy-based infant formulas.
Babies who use standard formula can be issued:
- Enfamil Infant
- Enfamil Gentlease
- Enfamil A.R.
- Enfamil Reguline
- Similac Soy Isomil
Health Partners are strongly encouraged to support WIC participants in using contract formula products if they are medically appropriate and tolerated by the child.
WIC clients using soy-based formulas will only be able to receive Similac Soy Isomil starting March 1.
For milk-based formula, USDA has extended the option for states to offer alternative brand formulas. Texas WIC will continue to offer some temporary alternative brand options for milk-based Enfamil formulas through the end of April. When alternative formula brand options are no longer available, planned for May 1, WIC clients will be transitioned back to the contract milk- based Enfamil formulas.
Large can options of all contract formulas will continue to be available through April 30.
Because there are not alternative brand equivalents to Enfamil Reguline or Enfamil A.R., your patients may contact their WIC office to discuss formula options if they are unable to find these on the shelf. These formulas can be issued in larger container sizes. However, your patients may seek your guidance for alternative formulas if Enfamil A.R. or Enfamil Reguline are not available.
Resources for Health Partners:
- Information for WIC clients and an updated list of alternative formula brand options
- More information about Texas WIC formulas
- Texas WIC Medical Request for Therapeutic Formula Form
- Help your patients adjust to a new formula
Available brands of therapeutic formulas are not impacted by the contract change. Texas WIC continues to have a wide variety of therapeutic formulas available with a completed medical request. For more information on formulas available through the Texas WIC program, please visit our formulary.
Examples of available therapeutic formulas with a medical request include:
Preterm formulas and Human Milk Fortifiers
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier PWD or Acidified Liquid – Mead Johnson
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid- Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Hydrolyzed Protein Concentrated Liquid - Abbott Laboratories
- Enfamil Premature 24 w/ Iron – Mead Johnson
- Enfamil Premature High Protein 24 w/ Iron – Mead Johnson
- Enfamil Premature 30– Mead Johnson
- Similac Special Care 20 w/Iron - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Special Care 24 w/Iron - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein - Abbott Laboratories
- Similac Special Care 30 - Abbott Laboratories
Premature transitional formulas
- Neosure 22kcal/oz - Abbott Laboratories
- Enfamil Enfacare 22kcal/oz – Mead Johnson
Protein Hydrolysate Hypoallergenic formulas
- Alimentum - Abbott Laboratories
- Extensive HA- Gerber
- Nutramigen – Mead Johnson
- Generic Hypoallergenic- Perrigo
- Pregestimil 24 – Mead Johnson
- Pregestimil DHA/ARA – Mead Johnson
Elemental/Amino Acid Based formulas
- Alfamino Infant - Nestle
- Elecare DHA/ARA - Abbott Laboratories
- Neocate w/DHA/ARA - Nutricia
- PurAmino – Mead Johnson
- Neocate Syneo- Nutricia
Additional formula products such as toddler formulas, increased calorie supplements and metabolic formulas are also available.