Learn which foods to buy
Once you start using your Texas WIC card, you’ll learn what foods to buy. We’ve pulled together some of the basic tips.
Look for the Pink WIC Sticker
Look for the pink “WIC Approved Item” stickers on the grocery store shelves. Stores use these stickers on certain WIC foods to show you which brands to buy when shopping at that store. Look for the pink WIC approved item sticker when you shop for the following foods:
- Dry beans
- Whole-wheat bread
- Whole-wheat tortillas
- Corn tortillas
- Brown rice
Choose These Brands
Not all foods are marked with WIC stickers. Use the WIC Shopping Guide to learn which specific brands of the WIC approved foods to buy. The Shopping Guide lists the brands you can choose when shopping for these foods:
- Breakfast cereal
- Baby cereal
- Canned beans
- Whole-wheat pasta
- Soy milk
Choose Any Brand
For some WIC foods “any brand” is allowed. That means you can choose any brand you want, but check your WIC Shopping Guide to see which package sizes and varieties you can choose from. You can choose any brand of these WIC foods:
- Peanut butter
- Canned tuna and salmon
- Fruits and vegetables
- Baby food fruits and vegetables
- Lactose-free milk
- Dry and evaporated milk
Tips For Buying Fruits and Vegetables
WIC helps you buy the fruits and vegetables you need to keep your family healthy. You will get a “dollar” amount every month to spend on fruits and vegetables.
Follow these tips:
- Keep it simple. Look for prices that make shopping easy, like “4 for $1.00.”
- Look for deals. When fruits and vegetables are in season, they are cheaper, fresher, and taste better.
- Weigh your produce and add it up so you know how much they’ll cost before you get to the checkout.
- Check your balance after you shop, so you know how much you have left in your “budget.”