Let us help you meet your breastfeeding goals
Breastfeeding isn’t always easy, and your WIC office can help. WIC’s breastfeeding experts help mothers breastfeed successfully with lactation consultants, classes, peer counselors, and a statewide hotline.
Support Centers and Hotlines
Texas Lactation Support Hotline: 855-550-6667
- Free help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Lactation Consultants (IBCLC’s) and peer counselors are on-call to answer your questions about breastfeeding. Get professional advice on pumping, latch and position, medications, and returning to work or school.
WIC Lactation Support Centers
Free lactation support services for all moms
- Houston - The Lactation Foundation
713-500-2800, option 1
- Dallas - Lactation Care Center
- Austin - Mom’s Place
- McAllen - Lactation Care Center RGV
- San Antonio - Lactation Support Center
Take a Class
If possible, try to take a breastfeeding class before your baby comes so you know what to expect. Talk to your doctor, hospital or your local WIC clinic if you need help finding a class. Classes usually cover:
- Different breastfeeding positions
- How to get a good latch
- Feeding patterns
- Baby’s cues and more
We’re Here to Help
Check out our website breastmilkcounts.com for helpful advice, tips, and more resources. You can also talk to your local WIC staff to get one-on-one help from a lactation consultant or peer breastfeeding counselor.
WIC and Breast Pumps
There are a few ways to get a breast pump. You can get one through your private insurance, through Medicaid or from your WIC clinic. During your pregnancy, contact your health insurance company to find out more about what is available to you. The peer counselor or lactation consultant at your WIC clinic can help you choose the best pump option if your health insurance offers more than one type.
After your baby is born, if you are unable to get a breast pump through private insurance or Medicaid that meets your needs, you may be able to get a pump though WIC. Contact your local clinic to learn more.
- Breastfeeding counseling services
- Demonstrations on how to use and clean your pump
- Breastfeeding supplies, including breast pumps and replacement parts