Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Life is full of special moments that call for a celebration! Explore fresh, healthy ideas to help make your next birthday party, special event or family gathering one to remember.
Easy Ways to Have Fun
You don’t need a big space or lots of equipment to have fun. Here are some simple activities to try with your party guests that will get minds and bodies active.
- Turn up the tunes and have a dance party! Change it up by making it a freeze dance party. When the music stops, everyone freezes and holds their position until the music starts again.
- Encourage creative play outdoors with bubbles and sidewalk chalk.
- Play a guessing game like animal charades or I Spy. Hide an object in a box and let kids ask questions to figure out what the object is.
- Practice listening skills with a game of Simon Says or Red Light, Green Light.
- Make a simple scavenger hunt and encourage kids to find different shapes and colors of items. Hide small objects like plastic eggs for kids to find.
Explore other fun ideas at Let’s Play!
Looking for inspiration on foods to serve at your next gathering? Finger foods are a fun option for guests of all ages! Look through the recipes below for healthy party food options.
TIP: When kids are involved in making food, they are more likely to try new things, so make it a family affair and let your little one help you prepare for the celebration.
Sandwiches with a twist!
- Banana and peanut butter roll ups: Spread peanut butter on a tortilla, lay banana on peanut butter and roll up the tortilla. Slice into pieces and enjoy!
- Mini sandwiches: Make your favorite sandwiches, then cut them into fun shapes with cookie cutters.
- Hummus veggie cones: Spread hummus over a tortilla and top with thinly sliced cucumber and grated carrots. Roll into a cone shape and serve!
- Rockin’ Rollin’ Bread Sushi: Remove crust from bread, flatten with a rolling pin, add fillings, then roll tightly. Chill and slice into pieces with a serrated knife.
- Filling ideas: Hummus and shredded carrots, lunch meat and grated cheese, cream cheese and thinly sliced cucumber, nut butter and jelly, or mashed avocado mixed with light tuna and topped with diced tomatoes.
- Tortilla pizza: Top whole-wheat tortillas with sauce and cheese. Let your little guests add their favorite toppings, then bake at 425°F for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mac and cheese bites: Prepare your favorite mac and cheese, then scoop about 2 tablespoons into the cups of a greased mini muffin tin. Press to pack the pasta tightly and top with grated cheese. Bake at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Taco or quesadilla bar: Provide a variety of fillings and toppings for guests to choose from. Let little helpers prepare by tearing lettuce or chopping tomatoes with a kid-safe knife.
- Breakfast party: Host a delicious morning party with mini frittatas and mini banana muffins. Add a yogurt parfait bar with assorted yogurt flavors and toppings!
More tasty ideas
- Create rainbow fruit sticks. Be sure to remove the fruit from the skewer for your child before they eat.
- Dips are fun and tasty! Try hummus or guacamole with veggie sticks. Make a delicious yogurt dip for fruit.
- Infused water is a great option instead of juice or soda. Add sliced fruits or vegetables to plain water. It not only looks beautiful, but it tastes great, too! Be sure to remove fruit chunks before serving infused water to kids.
Explore more tasty recipes using your WIC foods.
A Sweet Ending
Go beyond cake and try a refreshing twist with these sweet dessert ideas.
Cut the rind off a seedless watermelon and slice large chunks to create round cake “layers.” Add a border of your favorite chopped fruit around the edges and on top! You can create layers with honeydew or cantaloupe melons and pineapple, too. Try cutting fruit into shapes for even more fun.
Fruit-filled ice cream cones
Fill waffle cones with assorted fruit. For extra flair, add whipped topping and a few mini chocolate chips or a dash of sprinkles.
Frozen banana pops
Slice a banana in half and add a popsicle stick as a handle. Dip the banana in vanilla yogurt and roll in whole grain cereal, coconut flakes or finely chopped fresh fruit pieces. Freeze and enjoy as a cold treat!
Happy Birthday from Zobey
This special song and greeting from Zobey can make your child’s birthday celebration magical.
Watch birthday videos from Zobey for ages 1-5 and explore even more fun on the Healthy Texas Kids YouTube Channel.