Changes to WIC Foods
Attention WIC Shoppers. Check out what’s new with WIC foods.
Baby and Toddler Formula – Updated 1/23/2023 at 8:45 a.m.
Mead Johnson, the maker of Enfamil, is working to increase the supply of Enfamil products in Texas so they will be available for WIC families. Texas WIC will continue to offer temporary alternative options through the end of February.
It is very likely that February will be the last month that alternative formula brand options will be available. Be on the lookout for additional communication from Texas WIC about formula.
Through the end of February, If Enfamil Infant, Enfamil Gentlease, or Similac Soy Isomil powdered formulas are not available at the store, WIC has temporary options so you can find a formula at the store to meet your baby’s needs. If Enfamil A.R. or Enfamil Reguline are not available at the store, contact your WIC office to discuss formula options.
Check the formula and size below to see the temporary, alternative options you can get.
If you can’t find any of these brands or sizes at the store, contact your WIC office. You will need to return to the WIC office to have your benefits updated.
Information for WIC Vendors
Download the list of alternative powdered formulas to find updated universal product codes (UPCs) for temporary items that are currently uploaded to the Texas WIC’s approved product list. Texas WIC will continue to update this list as more options become available.
Temporary Alternative Powdered Formulas (PDF, 58 KB)
New WIC Foods
Texas WIC now offers more choices than ever before. Here are some new foods that are available starting October 1, 2022.
- New 32 oz. (1 quart) Greek yogurt options are available.
- Women and children 2-5 get low-fat or nonfat yogurt and one-year-old children get whole milk yogurt.
- Check your shopping guide to see which brands and flavors are WIC-approved.
- Brown and organic eggs in dozen-sized cartons are now available.
- Choose any brand of eggs.
- Organic peanut butter in 16 to 18 oz. jars is now available.
- Choose any brand of peanut butter.
- Make sure it is labeled peanut butter and not peanut butter spread, as spreads are not WIC-eligible.
Whole Wheat Pasta
- You can now choose any brand of whole wheat pasta in 16 oz. packages.
- You can now choose any brand of whole wheat or corn tortillas in 16 oz. packages
- Additional brands of infant cereal are now available in 8 oz. or 16 oz. containers.
- Choose from Beech-Nut, Earth’s Best or Gerber.
- Items with added ingredients, such as fruit, are not WIC-approved.
Instant Oatmeal Packets
- Quaker Instant Oatmeal Packets in 11.8 oz and 23.7 oz. are now available and count as breakfast cereal benefits.
- 16 oz. cannisters of oatmeal are still available as a choice for your whole grain benefit.
Fully breastfeeding women get canned fish from WIC, and there will be even more to choose from starting August 1, 2022.
Chunk Light Tuna
- Choose any brand in a 2.5 to 12 oz. can or pouch
- Packed in water, oil or vegetable broth
- Choose any brand in a 2.5 to 14.75 oz. can or pouch
- Packed in water or oil
- Choose any brand in a 4 to 15 oz. can
- Packed in water, oil, tomato sauce, hot sauce, mustard or with lemon
Mackerel (Atlantic, Pacific Chub or Jack)
- Choose any brand in a 4 to 15 oz. can
- Packed in water, oil or with lemon
Not WIC Approved
- Flavored, albacore, tongol, yellowfin or wild skipjack tuna.
- Flavored, smoked, sockeye or red salmon.
- King mackerel.
- Premium brands or items with olives, peppers or jalapeños.
Fruit and Vegetable Benefit
A new temporary fruit and vegetable dollar amount increase is available through September 30, 2023. This extension has different dollar amounts based on your category. Eligible clients will receive the following:
- Children get $25 each month
- Pregnant, postpartum and some breastfeeding clients get $44 each month
- Fully and partially breastfeeding clients get $49 each month
For example, if you are pregnant and have two children (ages 1-5) receiving WIC, you will get $94 ($44 mom + $25 child + $25 child = $94) each month in November, December and January to buy fruit and vegetables.
You will see this new amount on your shopping list under your benefit amount. If you already have benefits on your card for November, December and January contact your local WIC office for a time to update your benefits.
On October 1, the benefit amount will return to $11 for pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women and $9 for children 1 to 5 years old. This means that all clients who receive benefits before September 30 will get the higher amounts for the entire month of September.
You can use this fruit and vegetable benefit to buy fruits and vegetables in the following forms:
- Cans, glass jars and plastic containers
You can choose organic or regular, single or mixed items in any package size. Learn how to make the most out of your fruit and vegetables benefits with this quick video. For more information on what you can get with WIC benefits download the latest version of the shopping app on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store for the shopping guide and latest WIC information.
myTexasWIC Shopping App Update
As a reminder, if an item scans as WIC Approved, make sure that you have active benefits on your food package for these items.
Important Scanning Tip
If the store is sold out of a pink sticker item and you scan a replacement item and the app says, “not WIC approved,” ask a store staff member for assistance. You may still be able to purchase the item with WIC because of the food flexibilities.